My Journey in Korea

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Rain? Where's my snow?


To all my readers, I apologize to not having an update in awhile. I appreciate all the comments posted on my blog as well as personal messages you send. It is nice to know I have not been forgotten about quite yet.

I have learned in the past few months that I am very open to almost everyone I meet. I have already had a few encounters where I have a good chat with someone and really get to know a part of who they are immediately; there is none of that small chat going on. Back home I would never get to know someone on too personal of a level or open up upon first meeting them. Somehow it is different here. Although we are all be different, we all have something in common: We are a foreigner in Korea teaching English. Some people have come here to just earn money and see Korea. Others have extraordinary stories of travels around the world. I immediately have found these people inspirational. It encourages me to continue traveling and adventuring. My travels to Peru and Uganda cannot compare to some of the travels of others I have met here. Although it is disappointing I do not get to know some of these people I have met more, I can at least take something from our conversation with me.

Although I may frequently post status’ on facebook as sad thoughts about missing Christmas back home, I am doing alright and being optimistic. Yes, I do miss the ability to bake Christmas cookies (no one has ovens here), snow, the Holidazzle, and spending time with family. The weather also makes me forget how soon Christmas is coming. I went running in 40 degrees and rain this morning. Rain in December is just not right. Yet, I also remind myself that I have spent 24 Christmas’ at home, and will have many more in the future. Everything here is different and new, so I will accept this Christmas to be another new experience. My friends here have become my family, people I trust, can depend on, and love. I will spend Christmas with them. These friends also understand and are feeling the same way as myself. We all miss home, but we will make the best of what we have here. I may even stay over at a friend’s house Christmas Eve so I won’t wake up alone on Christmas Day. It will be a great day.

The snowstorm that occurred back home the past 2 days made me really miss having snow. I decided to print pictures that Kelly and I took after a snowstorm from a few years back to show my kindergartners today. They absolutely loved the pictures and I loved showing them what my home can be like. They never get that amount of snow here, so it amazed them. They especially loved a picture of me and the snow. It was silly to see Casey Teacher playing in snow! They all wanted to bring a picture home with them so I promised to print more for tomorrow. We then did a snow art project while listening to Christmas music. It was a fantastic class! Yesterday we had fun with chalk while listening to Christmas music too. My classes include: language, speech, drama and storybook, so I never get to have fun with art. The subjects I teach can all become boring over time, no matter how exciting I try and make it. I am going to work on incorporating art more often if possible; I have really missed it. We are having our Christmas party at school on Christmas Eve with each class putting on a performance. Although holidays are always crazy, it will be cute to see them singing for everyone!

If I don’t write again before Christmas, Happy Holidays to all!!



1 Comments:

Blogger Lora said...

What a fun way to teach your students about snow!!! Don't worry, we can enjoy our rainy Decembers together! :)

12/10/2009 10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home