My Journey in Korea

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Two Months...

I have had a good few weekends here. Last weekend I had friends visit from a small town in Korea. We enjoyed the weekend exploring Daegu. It is such a large city I am still learning it. We went downtown, found a great coffee shop and ate waffles (here, a lot of the coffee shops also have waffles and ice cream), wandered around downtown, ate dinner, wondered around more, went to a new bar for a drink and ended the night at a norabong . Sunday we just wandered around my neighborhood of Chilgok. We were going to hike the mountain near my house but unfortunately it was raining. We still enjoyed our time just chatting and walking around. It was so good to see people from back home.


This weekend was quite laid back, except for Friday afternoon. After lunch on Friday a friend went into having a severe allergic reaction. It was so severe I had to use my epi-pen on her and call for an ambulance. It was quite a frightening experience, and I sure learned a lot about Korean ERs. They honestly didn’t do much for her, except for an oxygen mask a half hour after she arrived at the hospital. Then, after blood tests were taken, they concluded that this was a result of stress. Everything here is blamed on stress. People will stay in the hospital for a week for stress. I understand that they do overwork themselves, but blaming an allergic reaction on stress, really?? I don’t think so.


The rest of the weekend was better. We took it easy and hung out Friday night. I was downtown Saturday for a movie, dinner, coffee and playing board games. It was an enjoyable two nights just chillin with friends. I had my second day of hockey today. I love it and continue to get to know the guys better. I walked away though with a cut finger and black toenail. In combination with my injured foot from running, I am proof that I am prone to injury. Yet, I still love hockey and running! Well worth the injuries that come with them.


Teaching is also going well. I still have only had 5 students in my kindergarten class, but hopefully this week more will come back. Wednesday was Pepero Day, sort of like Valentine's Day. There are these cookies sticks dipped in chocolate called Pepero here. The company decided to make November 11th a national holiday- the date decided because 11/11 looks like Pepero sticks. Clearly a commercialized holiday, yet people love it. Kids will often exchange Pepero sticks with friends and give them to their teachers. Couples will also exchange gifts. I brought some for my kids as well.



I cannot believe I have been living here for 2 months now…


6 Comments:

Anonymous DB said...

I can't believe it's been 2 months either. How's the weather? Is it warmer than CT? (Or MN?) If it is, you should definitely brag about it.

11/16/2009 7:44 PM  
Anonymous Casey said...

The weather sucks, I have no bragging. It gets cold and no snow. Well, flurries (not yet though), and the flurries don't stay on the ground. Why have the cold if I don't get snow with it?

11/17/2009 6:33 PM  
Anonymous Casey said...

Oh, but I did get about a month of fall weather, and pretty leaves changing colors, so that was fantastic.

11/17/2009 6:34 PM  
Blogger jackie.hunke said...

It's funny that you leave MN and then pick up Hockey... Good luck! I wouldn't be brave enough to try such a challenging sport at this time in life! Hope your kids come back soon! I've had Pepero before. They are yummy :)

11/19/2009 8:22 PM  
Blogger Lora said...

Pepero Day? I love it. And, is it bad to say I'm jealous of your black toenail? Its a sign of working hard! I would love to get one from running!

11/20/2009 1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(Kelly)

Coffee shops with ice cream and waffles?? I want to be there!

11/28/2009 2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home