My Journey in Korea

Monday, October 19, 2009

One Month!

As of Monday, Oct 19th, I have officially been in Korea for one month. The days often go by slow, but the weeks have gone by fast. I am sure I have said this before, but it honestly feels like I just left home yesterday, yet at the same time, I feel I have known the girls here for a much longer time. I don’t think I could ever have connected so quick to anyone back home as I have here. Sometimes I think it is because you almost have to. Not that I do not have a choice of who my friends are, but when you do connect with people, those are the ones you constantly hang out with, and therefore get to know very quickly. I continue to rely on them to help guide me. They are honest and trustworthy people I love. 

I continue to feel more comfortable with the culture and making my life here. Yesterday we went to Suseong Lake- which to us Minnesotans, it is more like a pond. Nothing can compare with the lakes we have though (especially after I lived on the Chain of Lakes), and for Korea, it was a beautiful lake. The weather was gorgeous too. It was sunny and probably 70 degrees. On this lake, they have “ducks”- which are like small boats you pedal to move- and are designed as ducks. We enjoyed the ducks and walking around the lake. There was also a mini carnival area for the children. Once I can get good internet I will post pictures. We ended the day with a delicious Korean dinner. Although many times we have Western food when we go out, I thoroughly enjoy Korean food, with limited spiciness. I am working on my spicy tolerance, so in a few months I am hoping I will be great with spicy food . 

Work is still going well, and I am getting more used to the schedule, my classes, and the kids. The kids are starting to warm up to me, for good and bad. This makes some classes easier because they actually talk now, whereas other classes now talk too much and are too crazy. Having the range of ages too from age 5 to age 15 in one day is difficult at times. Although I need to talk slower all the time, sometimes I worry I talk in too short of sentences to my better classes as I do with my kindergartners. In 2 weeks I hope that I will be completely comfortable with all classes. I have been running quite a lot in the past 2 weeks, and I love it!! It sometimes is still a struggle, and I know my legs and body are tired since I am out of shape, but I know I will get over that hump soon. This past Saturday I had a great run where I felt I could run farther, so I know I am getting there. It has felt good to get back in the routine of running. When I run, I really have to focus on my running, as not to get angry with the old people I pass by, which are the only people I see. Old ladies in general do not like foreigners, and so when I go running past them, I often get dirty looks. The old men will usually wave, or say something in Korean I don’t understand. Yet, twice I had an old man spit immediately after I ran past. Coincidence? I don’t think so, but maybe. Either way, I found it rude. I don’t let any of these looks and comments get to me though, I just enjoy my run and focus. Also, in my time here, I have only seen one person running. Otherwise, the men will do exercises on the equipment outside, and the ladies will do their speed walking. So, I am not only this tall, Western, redheaded girl, I am now running which is unusual. It’s alright though, I enjoy my running too much to let this bother me. 

Hopefully I get my own internet at the end of this week!

2 Comments:

Blogger jackie.hunke said...

Good luck with the running, Casey! I'm really surprised at the old many who spit after you passed him... Did you turn around and give him a big smile?? Yikes!

10/20/2009 8:44 PM  
Blogger Lora said...

I read somewhere that your taste buds regenerate every two weeks or so, so you'll definitely be able to tolerate spicier foods in time!

10/22/2009 10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home